Monday, March 12, 2007

Salinas Pueblo Missions

I planned to head back into White Sands for some of the morning light today but when I woke up, it was a low cloud cover and gray which would not work for good photos so I headed north after putzing around for a bit. My hope for the day was to visit the three Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument sites, Gran Quivira Ruins, Abo Ruins, and Quarai Ruins. Each of these is the remnants of pueblos and Franciscan Churches representing their efforts to convert. Conversion was not a raging success; the villages eventually emptied and the Franciscans (who survived) moved on.


But before I got out of Alamogordo, I had to stop and see the Franciscan Mission Church that is still active today.

Then I am off and running again. As you can see by the map, lots of backroads without many people and even fewer cops. So pedal down and let it roll! Yippee! More on that another day.


The first stop, Gran Quivira Ruins (click for pics). I have become comfortable with rattlesnake signs everywhere but this one had a new twist. After a brief stop at the Visitors Center, the volunteers final words of advice on my way out the door, "careful, them rattlers are on the move". Well SHIT! Of course, in my world, this just turns it into a challenge to really find one.


My second stop was the Abo Ruins (click for pics). Most of the pueblo ruins surrounding this Franciscan Mission Church are still burried in the mounds around the Church. Have you ever felt like you were being watched? I did and I was!


Finally, a stop at Quarai Ruins (click for pics) before heading toward Albuquerque. Again, most of the ruins remain underground in the mounds surrounding the Church. A question remains about each of the pueblos I have visited so far, where did they all go? They still allow an occasional wedding at this location.

Tomorrow, a day of rest in Albuquerque, then the adventure continues.

No comments: