Saturday, February 17, 2007

On the Road Again...


Well, I left the Grand Canyon and headed east. I planned to get as far as Gallup, New Mexico so I had time to make a couple stops between here and there.

First stop, Wupatki National Monument. This is the site of several pueblo ruins. Perhaps they were related as they appeared to be in several different clusters. The website is attached as well as several pictures.

After leaving Wupatki NM, I visited Sunset Crater National Monument. You won't find any pictures of this one. When you live in the heart of volcano country another cinder cone and lava field does not cause one to waste many digits (i.e. since I shoot digital, not film).

Finally, I thought I was on my way heading down the homestretch but...

About 4 miles outside of Flagstaff, I saw a sign for the Walnut Canyon National Monument. Wasn't planning to stop but since I had plenty of time why not? I didn't even know the reason for this monument. As it ends up, it was cliff dwellings throughout the canyon. I have always been intrigued by these so this was a real bonus. Want to see what I saw? Check out the pictures.

Not only was it cliff dwellings, but it was a test of the ticker and new hip. Two hundred twenty steps down the canyon wall to the mile long trail. Doesn't sound too bad right. Well once you walk the mile you have to climb all those stairs back out. Huff and puff but all parts worked fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reclaimed water from where? Just curious or not. Yes I have not thought of drinking from the tank before. Perhaps it is customary in other places? Carbomundo Man!
Perhaps you could do a segment on
GOOD EATS!. Glad to hear the body parts are working Enjoy and keep up the good observations!

- Brian - said...

Did they have any shower caps at the cliff dwellings is what I want to know...?