Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pam has arrived ...

and none too soon! Not many pictures to share, but a new hospital story.

Pam arrived Saturday in Phoenix and I met her at the Courtyard Motel that evening after a seven hour drive from Santa Fe. We immediately went for dinner and began plans for our adventure together. Pam already had some high points identified. Sunday morning off we go.

Somewhere during the week in Santa Fe I caught the cold that was going around. No biggy right? Wait and see.

Our first stop was at the Hassayampa Wildlife Preserve. I made Pam's birding an extra challenge as every time we would sneak up on a bird, I would start a coughing fit and scare it off. One should not go birding with a cold and cough. We were lucky enough however to see the Vermillion Flycatcher above and the hummingbird at left. The hummingbirds black head shimmered bright yellow when he spread his neck and head feathers. It was great fun.

After a bit we headed to Yarnell for lunch at the Buzzard Cafe. No beer, but great mesquite smoked pork to sooth the throat and postpone the cough. Pam did spot a shopping mall she wanted to stop at in Yarnell as well. Although interesting, I struggled with hauling "dead stuff" all across the country with me.

Finally the last segment of our day. Off to Sedona to photo some sunsets. I handed the reigns of the Highlander to Pam so I could take a nap. As you all know, I have a strategy to visit a hospital in every city I visit. Why should Sedona be any different?

So, the bride tells the story: Bill wakes up from his nap and immediately starts a major coughing attack, then all goes silent. The light turns green and I start driving, looking over at Bill who has slumped in his seat. I drive and call his name with no answer. I call his name much louder with no answer. I drive and scream his name with no answer, so I reach over and shake him with no response. I drive, scream and shake him and then he finally raises his head, looks toward me bug eyed and starts to shake all over. When he stops shaking, he looks at me and says "what?" and then the sweat starts to roll off his face. He has no idea that he had passed out and I have no idea how I didn't wreck the car.

I see a sign for the medical emergency center and since I am driving, that's where Bill has to go. The doctor says with Bill's history, the elevated blood pressure and the 101 degree fever, that tests are in order. After blood tests, EKG, chest xrays and a significant amount of poking and proding, the doctor's diagnosis is viral bronchitis. It seems that you can cough hard enough to stop the flow of blood to your brain (of course, neither Bill nor I can remember the technical term for it) and you pass out. Dr says it's not uncommon to shake all over as you are coming out of it. Easy for him to say. So, we left with a prescription for codeine cough syrup to this beautiful sunset outside.

Needless to say, the Sedona piece of this trip has been a scratch. No hiking, no shopping, no drinking, minimal eating, no scenic driving, no picture moments. Tomorrow we start anew.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

What?, No wait, let me rephrase that, WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am glad you are better.
Pam, I'll bet that was miserable.
Chuck