Sunday, March 11, 2007

Gila Cliff Dwellings

I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to update this. Today I promised Pam that I would get something new to look at posted.

When I last reported, I had gone across Arizona and stayed the night in Lordsburg, NM. The trail to Gila Cliff Dwellings will be long and interesting. Forty four miles of one lane, curvy, hilly driving. As I expected the trail was interesting, and very beautiful. Lots of mountains and Ponderosa Pine forests and very few people. On the 44 miles each way, I encountered 6 other cars. And that 44 miles takes about two hours of driving.
The weather this day was about perfect, 78 and sunny. So a couple beers and some chips and salsa were required at a campground in the woods. Good book, sunshine, light cool breeze, almost perfect (it needed Pam to be perfect). Anyway, headed back out and finally reached the freeway at Deming.


A quick stop at a rest area seemed in order before making the last run to El Paso. I was immediately greeted by the sign at left. I must admit it did cause a bit of concern about where I might sit or stand. But no varmints encountered so off I went.

One must look for the silver lining - I was indecisive long enough to enjoy a great sunset.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.

No comments: