Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Journey to Canyon de Chelly

I arrived in Canyon de Chelly after visiting the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert and Hubbell Trading Post. I am deep in the heart of Navajo land. I first visited the south rim of the canyon. I had often heard of the canyon but had no idea what to expect (again). The canyon is Navajo land and is considered very sacred. Evidence of life goes back to the Anastasi with petroglyphs and cliff dwellings. This time of the year the river flows through the canyon but runs dry during the summer.

I explored the canyon rim and returned for sunset pictures. I was later convinced that I should take a canyon floor tour. You can only enter the canyon with a guide and it is a four wheel drive trip. Much of the route is in the river.

Our fine chariot is at right. Of course this met with some trepidation as I had read about how critical it was to have a sound running vehicle for the trip and I once owned a Jeep. So I started the trip with a no confidence vote.

Our tour guide was a Navajo named Daniel who lived on the canyon rim about an hours drive away. Daniel provided a Navajo perspective to all the canyon sights.

Two others were on the tour, another Bill and his Godson, Raimonds, a student at Arizona State from Latvia. I hope that if they check this they will give me his correct name spelling. Anyway, Bill is quite connected with Xavier U. who had won their NCAA tournament game the night before over Brigham Young. Hence the big smile.

The canyon is quite a place. There are lots of pictures attached because it is so unique. Have a look and enjoy.

No comments: