Thursday, March 22, 2007

North from Durango...

This can be sung with the same tune as North to Durango which had the same tune as North to Alaska. Hey, it's better than 100 bottles of beer on the wall ...


I am driving north on the scenic route out of Durango planning to get to Grand Junction for the evening. Once there I plan to visit Colorado National Monument, and then head to my own adobe so I can fly with my bride to San Antonio. From Grand Junction to Portland will be a couple of fairly long driving days.



Once I looked at the route I was a bit concerned about the road conditions.


As you can see, the pass was fairly high and there was lots of snow remaining. But, the road was clear the whole way so no sweat.



On the way down, there are two great little towns, Silverton and Ouray. Both are mining towns that have turned to the tourist traffic to survive. I managed to drive through Silverton without stopping but when I got to Ouray, all bets were off. A cold beer, outside, in the sun, warm, fresh air, and a bit of lunch on the deck of the Goldbelt Bar & Grill was just too strong an attraction to ignore.

I have posted a few pictures of the route, click here.

No comments: